Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Car shopping

Started shopping for a used car. We experienced some funky behaviour on our Toyota Camry 2 weeks back which prompted us to look around.



1. the windshield wiper fluid stopped spraying around the time that I came back from my mechanics around end of May.
2. light bulb on the driver side (front) stopped working (July 13) and started working again when I had it checked out (July 16).
3. I started the car to get it checked out (July 16) and the car started pumping out white smoke out of the muffler.

Because of these, my sister and I decided to begin looking for another car.

I started with the Automart. Located a sweet Volvo S40 2001 for a really good price. After further investigation and a visit to my mechanic I decided against buying the automobile.



It's really too bad because the car was beautiful. But there was enough reason NOT to purchase the car. And I learned alot from dealing with them. My only advise is trust your people. If your going to trust the advice from anyone, trust your people.

Car shopping (checklist)

1. Any liens on the car?
2. Any accidents (causing structural damage)?
3. Take the car to your mechanic.

If your paying in cash a good start for a price discount is to subtract the tax. It's a wise move (which I learned from my buying co-pilot). Standard costs that go into buying a used car are:

1. D.O.T. - $350
2. Admin fees - $150
3. Safety test (and repairs) - $300
4. Emission test - $50

These were the standard costs on top of the listed price for the car.

So I'm still in the market for a used car. My first choice was to buy a Mercedes. I've got over 10 years of driving experience and in that time I've driven a Chrysler Reliant (1985), Honda Civic (2003) and a Toyota Camry (1988). I want to try a luxury vehicle. My co-workers at work are telling me that I should go for the car of my dreams. It's the time. "In a few years you may be married with kids and that opportunity won't be coming back soon". It makes so much sense. When I found the Volvo (practically the first car I saw) I considered it a purchase in which my sister and I would share (since we'll be parking it at her place). It's a good thing it didn't work out because I'm not sure my sister would want it after I move out. So in that case I really should shop for myself. And the car that I've been wanting to buy is the Mercedes Benz.

1 comment:

Allen said...

Well now you can keep looking for that Benz that you always wanted!

Cheers,
Allen.