Saturday, July 11, 2009

New York New York

I'm writing this 3 days after returning from New York. Getting back to my day-to-day means that I can't remember much of the experience any more. It's just not as vivid.

Let me start from the end and work my way back.

We left Long Island (near the Baldwin railroad station) around 10:25 AM. It was sunday and Americo just finished playing his Bronze medal game (the Ottawa Barbarians didn't make the Gold medal game because of the goals-for tie-breaker). After the game we were basically ready to go. We drove out of New York taking the I-385 north of Manhattan. There was a delay as a bridge was closed down due to a fire on Friday. Once we got onto the bridge that was available we were off to the races. It was a nice drive. We took I-81 through New Jersey and then back to New York state. We drove to Syracuse then near Rochester. We hit Buffalo on our way to the Lex bridge and discovered that the way at the bridge was 2 hours long. We decided to head back and go to Peace bridge instead.

The way back was pretty irritating. GPS is pretty cool when the girl knows where you want to go. But after we started backtracking she was just getting on my nerves telling me where to go. What's a guy to do when your GPS is giving you bad directions!? Jeesh.

We got to Peace bridge but before we got on we stopped to get some cheaper American gas and to switch drivers. Funny thing is when we got to Buffalo the clouds were hanging over the city like a plague. But driving through New York, and driving to Toronto (after Buffalo) was a pleasure. Strange I know.

Actually, driving to Toronto wasn't a pleasure. The sky was clear but the road was blocked. Stupid accidents along the QEW meant that our projected time of arrival for 8:53 PM turned into 10:26 PM.

No comments: